Friday, 17 January 2014

Water paper paint - more exploration








So it's then end of my second week of working through my new watercolour book and I've been playing around with some of the different techniques, getting the hang of my colour palette and generally playing around with mixing, overlaying and the different ways the colours react with the water and the paper. I'm already finding I have my favourites.... This week was working wet onto dry, which involved a light colour wash which was allowed to dry and then different colours painted on top. I tried a variety of colour washes, the basics of blue, green and yellow, as well as ochre and sienna. I then applied some pure colours on top, which gives me more of an idea of how I can use this in my watercolour work to achieve different shades... I'm liking playing just for the sake of it, but I'm already becoming impatient... Which I know I need to deal with to my playtime will be ruined with thoughts of hurry, hurry hurry...

I've (unsuccessfully) tried stretching the paper onto a board and then fixing it using the watercolour gummed tape.... Epic fail, it didn't really work out, as the tape ended up peeling away fro me board (maybe the tape was cheap or maybe the board wasn't the right surface for adhesion??). I think I need someone to show me how to do this properly. I followed all the instructions and even checked out a YouTube tutorial showing how to do it properly... Maybe I just need to take note of my word of the year and exercise a little patience, maybe it's one of those things where practice is needed to get it just right?? Anyone else struggle with this??

6 comments:

  1. Hi sue - how weird - on my list of things to do this week is a video tutorial on stretching paper haha - not sure I am going to get to it though as I have no boards not in use at the moment but will let you know when I do. Love all these explorations of colour and texture - just enjoy the playful process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I need your help!! Glad to hear you are feeling better. Looking forward to out next get together.

      Delete
  2. Hi there
    I've not stretched paper for years now
    but I found a heavy board with a bit of texture helps the tape endear.
    your blog is making me want to try watercolour
    In my opinion a modern master of this medium is Helen Frankenthaler def worth a look
    Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go and try again, soak paper properly and use two different boards to see which works best. And thanks for that watercolour recommendation, I've just looked, wow!! Amazing colours and massive brush strokes - I need a bigger brush!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    I've successfully used both ply wood and mdf, and at thicknesses ranging from just less than 1cm to around 2.5cm. Wet both sides of the paper and get the gum strip really wet too (but not sodden!) I find smoothing the gum strip down with a sponge helps it adhere too. Hope these tips are useful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diana, thanks for the tips - it seems wetting both sides of the tape has worked - I'll let you know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete

Other posts you might like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...